Something new at FIMBY, we'll see how it goes. You'll find a link to this page on the sidebar. Currently residing under finds & favorites. You'll want to check in on this page every so often because I'll be updating it. Each new season, or as often as I think of it, I'll start a new one. Archiving the old to keep a reference for future.
There's a lot of listening and electronic reading going on these days. And the old fashioned paper kind of reading also (especially for the younger two). A lot of Kindle downloads and searching the web for free and inexpensive books for Celine. This happens when you live in place where you don't speak the language and don't have English library service (smile).
One of the great things about owning a Kindle (or other e-reader) is that we are reading more classics because they are readily available & free.
Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels, The Adventures of Sherlook Holmes, Frankenstein, Around The World in 80 Days, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea are all books Celine has been reading and owns now on her Kindle.
I don't have any great resources or sites to share yet for sourcing e-books. I'm still figuring it all out myself! There's been some Kindle talk in comments here & here. One of these days I'll write a post about the whole process we're going through of accessing literature & stories without a good library service.
I'm getting my own Kindle next month because Celine uses hers so often and I need access to my books as well (smile).
Mama's reading & listening:
Depending on my mood (the time of day and what's going on) I'll be reading one of these.
Mama Speak & Writing:
- A Circle of Quiet (love)
- Bird by Bird (double love)
- Mindset For Moms
- MAPP Gathering (mp3 listens, free)
- The Gifts of Imperfection (listening but I think I would prefer to read this one)
- Behind The Blog podcast with Nicola Alesandrini
- One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are (finally finished!)
- The Inner Landscape of the Beauty (thank you Catherine) streaming public radio
- Calico Bush
- The Magician's Nephew - the younger two were really young when I read this aloud the first time, time to revisit the magic of Narnia
- I Am David
- May B - was destined to be a read aloud but Brienne just couldn't get into it. I really liked it.
- The Art or Earning
- The Flinch (free for your Kindle)
- Appalachian Trials: The Psychological and Emotional Guide to Successfully Thru-Hiking The Appalachian Trail - listening to Damien read this to our family
Home Education (mine & theirs):
- The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade
- The Writer's Jungle - shelving for a bit, but referencing once in a while
- St. Francis of Assisi
- Walden or Life in The Woods (free)
- Super Immunity - life healthier, it is possible
Kid's and Family:
Looking for more book recommendations, especially children's books? Check out my bookshelves at goodreads. This is where I have kept track for years of most of what we've read.
When I think to update it.
- Love by Angels & Airwaves, especially loving "Epic Holiday", this gets me dancing every time
- Ceremonials by Florence & The Machine
- Anatomic by Afro Celt Sound System
- Hindsight 20/20 by Arrogant Worms, welcoming us back to Canada (not g-rated, but very funny)
- Bon Iver by Bon Iver - super melancholy music
- My Song by Spring Gouette (my friend's beautiful music)
- Star Wars Uncut - creatively inspiring and very funny, not all PG
- Dolphin Tale (very sweet)
- Mr. Popper's Penguins (cute)
- Lord of the Ants - free online documentary
- Kung Fu Panda 2
- All I Can - rock-on skiing documentary
- The Way - very good movie, rated PG-13 (I'm guessing for drug use) the kids didn't watch it with us, but they could have
- Chicken Run - oldie but a goodie, kids love this
- Victorian Farm - free online documentary
- The Secret of Kells