This is my very first lotion post from way back. Click here for a more recent recipe.
- 2 1/2 ounces blended oils
- 1 1/2 ounces coconut oil or cocoa butter
- 1/2 ounce beeswax
- 4 ounces distilled water
- 30 drops grapefruit seed extract
- 1/4 tsp. borax
- essential oils, optional
- Weigh the oils and beeswax. Melt over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the melted oils and beeswax from the stove and add the water and borax.
- Mix with hand blender or mixer until creamy & thick.
- Stir in grapefruit seed extract and essential oils (if using).
- Store in jars with screw-on tops.
Suggested blended oils: almond oil, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, olive oil - on their own or infused with calendula (great for skin) cocoa butter, grapeseed oil, jojoba, Shea butter, wheat germ oil
This cream should last for 4 months or so, but if you see mold growing, discard. If you pour it into several containers you can keep some in the fridge until you need them.
Making kitchen cosmetics requires cleanliness to inhibit bacterial growth. Purified or distilled water is used for this purpose. Also, thoroughly clean utensils and counter surfaces before weighing and mixing.
Borax helps mixture not separate.
If you have questions or concerns about Borax or GSE please see this post for a thorough discussion.
Lotion goes on greasy but dries nice and is very softening and moisturizing especially during winter.
Wondering where to buy supplies? Check out Mountain Rose Herbs.