Obedience, sacrifice, confession, repentance these are deeply personal spiritual practices, best shared in a trusted community. Unfortunately these practices and postures of the heart can become yokes that people are pressured into bearing. But condemnation, fear of failure, inadequacy is not how the Spirit moves us into spiritual discipline.
After my first try at lip balm I was hooked. Here was something I could easily whip up in my own kitchen, for mere pennies a container. It smelled good, tasted good, kept my lips moisturized and all the ingredients were available at the health food store. From there I experimented with body lotion and, like they rest, the rest is history.
I've been making my own body care products now for years.
A note about measurements:
My personal care product recipes are a mish-mash of imperial and metric measurements because because I’ve lived in both Canada and the United States and I can work fairly easily in both types of measurements. I also have a great scale that lets me convert values and does the thinking for me.
I find it is sometimes easier to express a recipe quantity in ounces, other times in grams. I choose whatever is the easier number to express, even if it’s sometimes less precise, for example, 1 oz = 28.35 gm. The ounces are less precise but are good enough for my purpose.
I also sometimes use weight (technically mass) and volume measurements in the same recipe, i.e. milliliters (mL) and teaspoons (tsp) are volume measurements, ounces (oz) is weight. I use both weight and volume measurements depending on the ingredient type. It is very hard to measure a full, flat teaspoon of beeswax for example, as well as other “chunky” oils and waxes.
I use a kitchen scale for all my weight measurements.
- Kokum Butter Lotion Bar - If I was new to making soap and body care products I think I'd start with lotion bars. The ingredients are relatively easy to source, the recipe and directions are a breeze, and it makes a great product.
- Lip Balm made easy - My latest batch of lip balm is a new recipe and it's a winner and I've discovered a super easy way to fill lip balm tubes.
- Mid-Winter: Making - My February "making" produces soap, lotion, and lip balm.
- (the ultimate) Healthy Homemaker Series ~ soap making, skin care & green clean - When I was just learning how to make these products it was harder to find recipes, now there are many resources.
- The Low-Down on Borax & GSE - Here's what they are, why I still use them and why maybe you shouldn't.
- Peppermint Cocoa Lip Balm - Lip balm is a great place to start if you want to make your own body care products.
- Let's Talk Lip Balm - Lip Balm FAQ.
- Summer Skin Care & Homemade Deodorant Recipe - My first batch of homemade deodorant was based on a popular web recipe; this time around I made a few more modifications, enough to call it my own.
- Making homemade toothpaste - I never did find a recipe my family liked, but I tried.
- How to Make Lotion ~ A Photo Tutorial - Step by steps photo of making lotion.
- Homemade Lip Balm - Easy to make, cheap, 100% natural, and good for your lips.
- Rich Moisturizing Lotion - An herb-infused lotion made with rich and moisturizing oils.
- Basic Moisturizing Skin Cream - My first lotion recipe is still my favorite.