Obedience, sacrifice, confession, repentance these are deeply personal spiritual practices, best shared in a trusted community. Unfortunately these practices and postures of the heart can become yokes that people are pressured into bearing. But condemnation, fear of failure, inadequacy is not how the Spirit moves us into spiritual discipline.
Clove, lavender, peppermint, and rosemary oils; calendula, chocolate, cinnamon, and tumeric. It sounds a bit like cooking but it's actually the alchemy and art of making luscious smelling and naturally nourishing soap.
Most of these aren't step by step recipes as such. Rather, inspiration for crafting your own artisan soaps.
A note about measurements:
My personal care product recipes are a mish-mash of imperial and metric measurements because because I’ve lived in both Canada and the United States and I can work fairly easily in both types of measurements. I also have a great scale that lets me convert values and does the thinking for me.
I find it is sometimes easier to express a recipe quantity in ounces, other times in grams. I choose whatever is the easier number to express, even if it’s sometimes less precise, for example, 1 oz = 28.35 gm. The ounces are less precise but are good enough for my purpose.
I also sometimes use weight (technically mass) and volume measurements in the same recipe, i.e. milliliters (mL) and teaspoons (tsp) are volume measurements, ounces (oz) is weight. I use both weight and volume measurements depending on the ingredient type. It is very hard to measure a full, flat teaspoon of beeswax for example, as well as other “chunky” oils and waxes.
I use a kitchen scale for all my weight measurements.
- Mid-Winter: Making - My February "making" produces soap, lotion, and lip balm.
- Holiday Spice Soap - Clove and orange are two of my favorite ingredients in a holiday-inspired soap.
- Autumn Spice Cake ~ A seasonal soap recipe - A soap with the fragrance of mulled apple cider, pumpkin pie and cinnamon stick with a layer of decadent vanilla bean.
- Summer "Shoo-Fly" Soap - Summer Shoo-Fly is so named as the essentials oils were chosen for their insect repellent properties.
- Calendula, Salves and an Easy Soap Recipe - A bit of everything: why I love calendula, salve making and a soap recipe.
- Orange Blossom Special - Introducing Orange Blossom Special created with essential oils of lavender, orange and clove, with the addition of calendula blossoms.
- Harvest Moon Soap Recipe - An invigorating woodsy scent and a subtle green color inspired the naming of this soap.
- Orange Clove Pomander Soap - The traditional Christmas Pomander was my inspiration for this bar.