Obedience, sacrifice, confession, repentance these are deeply personal spiritual practices, best shared in a trusted community. Unfortunately these practices and postures of the heart can become yokes that people are pressured into bearing. But condemnation, fear of failure, inadequacy is not how the Spirit moves us into spiritual discipline.
Writing is not about spelling, grammar, penmanship, or vocabulary. It's about having something to say and then having the skills to communicate that idea.
Those skills of course are spelling, grammar, a rich vocabulary and hopefully legible handwriting (where applicable in this digital age). Having a reason to write, something to share, is the drive behind written expression.
Using the learner's natural need and interest to communicate, to teach the very skills needed for effective communication, is an ideal environment for context-based writing instruction. And it's how we prefer to do it.
- Instagram and Interest-led learning - People, including children, learn what they "need to know" by doing things that interest and inspire them.
- Homeschool Writing with Patricia Zaballos - One of the most important things parents can do to encourage writing is to help kids find authentic, exciting reasons to write.
- Freewrite - Freewriting is an easy tool to get the creative writing juices flowing.
- More Spring Science (& Writing) - It's much more important to me that my kids enjoy the process and purpose of writing, than get it perfect.
- A Victorian Dollhouse tour - Ten year old Celine photographing and writing about her Victorian Dollhouse.