This weekend our Christmas festivities will begin in earnest.
From the time my kiddos were preschoolers we have been following our interests in studying history, cultures and geography. I find this separation of subjects artificial so we lump it all together under the heading world study.
We don't memorize dates, facts and political boundaries. We study a sequence of historical events, the rise and fall of nations and empires, and cultures around the world and in our backyard, to help us understand the present and look towards the future.
- Couchsurfing with a family - If you can't travel the world right now, you can bring the world into your home.
- Celebrating Chinese New Year - Celebrating Chinese New Year, with a big feast, was part of a homeschool study the kids and I have been doing this winter.
- Studying the World through Reading and Creative Play - As interest led homeschoolers we don't have an overarching history curriculum that we follow, we let our interests lead our studies.
- Culture in your neighborhood - It's safe to say I haven't done the best job at instilling a love for classic art and music in my children, instead I've focused on community art and music appreciation.
- Hungry Planet Supper Night - Using a book and our own kitchen to learn about what the world eats.