I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I haven't taken the kids apple picking yet. In my defense the month has been full with family visiting, figuring out a fall routine that helps everyone meet their goals and celebrating all things Maine at Common Ground.
I'm also not motivated to pick when a bushel bag of already picked utility grade apples (slightly less than perfect) from the farm is $14. Now that is one seriously sweet deal! We bought our first bag this week and this morning we started our fall & winter seasonal Saturday breakfast of baked apples and cashew cream sauce. Yum.
- 12 - 14 medium/large baking apples, cored, peeled & slice
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1-2 tbsp flax seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Combine all ingredients in large casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 min - 1 hour. Less time for firmer apples, more time for mushy apples.
- Serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cocoa powder (optional).
Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup dates or raisins (we prefer raisins)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Blend all sauce ingredients in heavy duty blender like Vita-Mix till smooth. If you have a regular blender, cover and pre-soak the cashews in water overnight or 4-6 hours. Drain water and use as recipe calls for, with maybe a little less soymilk. Enjoy and embrace fall!