Have a question? Please feel free to contact me. I will respond personally via e-mail (don't hold your breath but I will get back to you). Alternately, please ask your question in a relevant post's comments section, I will respond to that comment or write a post dedicated to that question.
Readers Ask is a section of my blog where I have written posts in response to your questions.
- Do you need special tools to make soap? Where do you buy supplies? See How to Make Simple Soap Video and 4 Steps to Making Homemade Soap. I answer both those questions and much more in those posts. They are basically my how-to make soap posts.
- What if the soap doesn't turn out? In all my years of soap making I've only had one real failure and I turned it into dish soap (it was too caustic to use straight on our skin in the shower). Alternately, you could grate it and use for laundry soap. Although soap making is a scientific process it's also a bit of an art, at least for me. You never know exactly how it will turn out, but that's the beauty of it.
- Do you sell your soap? Not usually.
I have a dedicated Q & A post where I answer readers' questions about soap making.
FIMBY's Soap & Body Care resource page will help get you started if you want to make your own natural products.
- What kind of camera do you have? I shoot primarily with a Nikon D300 and a couple lens. You can read about that here. We recently purchased a lighter Sony NEX5 for hiking and backpacking. Update: after 5 years with my Nikon D300 we sold it to purchase the Sony NEX6. Nearly all photos on the blog from October 2013 and forward are taken with that camera.
- What kind of camera bag do you use? Prior to buying the Sony I used a top loader Lowepro camera bag with back harness straps for our backpacking/hiking adventures. You can see it pictured here. This set up was a bit cumbersome and heavy, which is one reason we bought a smaller camera.
- What kind of entry level camera do you recommend? I honestly can't heartily recommend a particular brand or model since I haven't researched it much. Me Ra Koh, an amazing mama photographer who inspires other mama photographers, recommends (& is sponsored by) Sony cameras. I trust her opinion. And I do like our little Sony NEX5.
- How do you take photos with blurry backgrounds, make images pop, etc? I haven't written much about that specifically on FIMBY because that's not my focus here. I have a getting started with photography post and you can find all my few and far between photography posts here. There are many photography how-to resources on the web. Here's a few I recommend:
- Will you review my product? I accept some advertising and product reviews on FIMBY. Please read my advertising page for more details.
- Can I use your photo? Well, that depends. Mostly yes. Please read my copyright for more information. Contact me if you aren't sure.
I write a lot about creativity because it is one of our core values. Over the years I have received questions from moms asking me how to make time for personal creativity.
I wrote a small e-book to answer that question. Nurturing Creativity: A Guide for Busy Moms is a book of encouragement, inspiration and practical ideas for how to make time for creativity in your life as a busy mom.
The following posts are about encouraging your child's creativity specifically.
- Encouraging Creativity in Your Homeschool
- Supplies for Creativity ~ Paper Craft
- Supplies to Stock the Craft Cupboard
What do you do with all your kids' craft projects? I answer that very common question in this post.
Did you teach your children to be crafty, draw, and make art? How do I teach my kids that?Yes and no. And I don't know (smile). For a more thorough answer see this post and also Raising Kids that Craft (or Not).
When did your your kids start sewing? Did you teach them? I answer those questions in this comment. I also remember Celine was given a Klutz sewing book one year and that was very instructive in hand sewing basics.
I have two dedicated pages of links creativity and crafting related posts:
Family & Kids Outdoors
~~in the works~~
~~in the works~~