As best as I can recall, by looking at the blog archives, I started to make soap in 2007. Soapmaking, photography and blogging were a good creative fit and for a while I documented my soapmaking endeavors on the blog, including publishing tutorial videos and recipes. One year I even sold soap to my blog readers.
These days I just make soap, I don't write about it much anymore but the posts are still here and the information remains useful for new generations of soapmakers. This page attempts to pull all those posts together to be a better reference and resource for your own projects.
How to Make Soap:
- Soap Making Supplies & Where To Find Them
- How to Make Simple Soap ~ A Video Tutorial
- 4 Steps to Making Homemade Soap
An entire week of soapmaking at FIMBY.
Skin & Hair Care:
- This Lip Balm's Made For Kissing
- Summer Skin Care & Homemade Deodorant Recipe
- Summary of my Homemade Beauty Products
- Beautiful Hair Care ~ Chemical-free
- Homemade Lip Balm
- Calendula and Basic Directions for a Skin Salve
- The Low-Down on Borax & GSE - you will see these ingredients in my lotion recipes. Here's what they are and why I still use them and why maybe you shouldn't.
- How to Make Lotion ~ A Photo Tutorial
- Rich Moisturizing Lotion
- Basic Moisturizing Skin Cream
Herbs for Skin:
- Making a Sore Muscle Salve
- Herbal Insect Bite Relief
- How to Prepare a Comfrey Poultice
- Pepper & Spice Muscle Rub (not a recipe, inspiration only)
Recipes & Ingredient Listings:
Most of these aren't step by step recipes as such. Rather, inspiration for crafting your own artisan soaps.
- Holiday Spice Soap Recipe
- Peppermint Patty Christmas Soap
- Autumn Spice Cake
- Summer Shoo-Fly
- Lavender Lemonade
- Harvest Moon Soap Recipe
- Orange Clove Pomander Soap
- Green Garden Lotion